Whitaker International Fellows and Scholars Program
- Vijay Renganathan
- Fri, 25 Sep 2009 02:23PM EDT
- Fellowship/Exchange Program
The Whitaker Program provides grant funding for future leaders in the US BME community a career-relevant work overseas.
Started in 2005 by the Whitaker Foundation (now closed) the Whitaker International Fellows and Scholars Program is intended to give emerging leaders in the US biomedical engineering community an opportunity to build international bridges while enhancing their own careers.
Administered by the Institute of International Education in New York, the Whitaker Program selects up to 50 high-quality candidates to undertake a project that is overseas. Projects ranges from coursework to lab work to policy internships to implementation.
Whitaker Fellows (grant recipients at the pre-doctoral level) can take relevant and valuable coursework out of the country if they like, with reasonable tuition expenses reimbursed by the program. In addition, post-doctoral grant recipients (Whitaker International Scholars) can be funded for up to 24 months of international post-doctoral work, at a stipend level competitive with post-doctoral salary.
Grant recipients can leave as early as July and as late as March of the following year.
Visit www.whitaker.org for complete details and the online application.
Close Date: Open-Ended
- US Citizen or Permanent Resident
- Degree in Biomedical Engineering, Bioengineering, or equivalent coursework.
- Currently enrolled OR Most recent degree within 3 years of application.
- Fellowship Applicants: graduating senior, BS, MS, or PhD candidate.
- Scholarship Applicants: recent PhD recipients and/or current Post-Doc
- Monthly stipend for Living Expenses
- Fellows: 9 to 12 months of funding, reasonable tuition expenses reimbursed
- Scholars: 6 to 24 months of funding (competitive with typical post-doc salary)
- International Travel and Settling-In Allowance
- Accident/Sickness insurance with emergency evacuation
- Whitaker International Program Alumni Network